Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Photos of the Flathead


This amazing view is in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. This 1,000 foot high outcropping is known as "The Chinese Wall". It's virtually unbroken for about 20 miles. Only a lucky few get to see it, and even less ever stand on top of it, because it's a few days hike in from any roads. My husband and sons took this picture while on a week-long 50 mile hike (turned out to be 64!) with their Boy Scout troop. Those little green dots at the bottom are huge trees.

Since you all liked the photos so well, I thought I'd just give a few quick links to some more. Our valley is unique. Other than the old-timers who were already here, it has attracted several specific groups of people: celebrities, retired seniors, families wanting to get their kids out of the cities to a place where there is very little crime, and "survivalists" or preparedness minded folks. My family has been here for about 75 years, so I guess I fall into the "old-timers" category. Oh, and don't forget around 2,000,000 visitors each year - but they aren't permanent. There are still only around 80,000 residents in the entire valley, which encompasses 5 small towns, Kalispell being the main one. Like so many other names around here, "Flathead" and "Kalispell" are both named after native Indian tribes.


This Bighorn came to get a closer look. My sister took this picture in Glacier Park.

Here are a few links with more info and pictures:




Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort - If you look at the archive photos, there are many of the surrounding mountains and valley, from a bird's eye view! Click on "Shot of the Day" and then "View More". Or click on the "Photography" link at the top of the home page for more photos.

Flathead Beacon - A small local publication. Click on the link to "Montana Photo Gallery" on the right.

Google images for Glacier National Park - or change the search to "Flathead Lake" or "Flathead valley". The park is only 30 miles away. I used to work there when I was younger.

 

4 comments:

  1. Ok, the pic of the bighorn is seriously awesome. If you are trying to make me move to Montana, it may be working. I love this kind of scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whad I tell ya Joe? Right here in your own backyard! I've still got 2 pieces of land for sale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I know you do...I have to save my pennies, and yuk...have to work for a few more years. But watch out, someday, we may be neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to visit my blog and if you find a post to comment on that would be great. God bless, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails