Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cream of Potato Soup

Potato Soup
I love homemade soups! Especially in the winter time. When the snow has blanketed everything outside, a nice pot of soup is the perfect thing for inside. Most of them are simple and quick to create. Start with a pot of hot water, and add vegetables and seasonings. It's pretty hard to go wrong. Most of the time, I just combine whatever sounds good to me that day. I might add some beans and spice it up a little, or make a broth with noodles, chicken and peas.

Although I most often concoct my own creation, I do have some recipes that are favorites. Cream of Potato has always been on the top of that list. This is a recipe a friend gave me many years ago and I have been making it ever since:

Cream of Potato Soup

5-8 medium sized potatoes
1 onion
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 cube butter
seasoning

Optional:

Ham or Bacon
Green onions or Chives

Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Chop the onion. Boil those two until tender and then pour out the water until they are only half covered. Add the evaporated milk, butter, and the seasonings you like. I like seasoned salt and sometimes a little garlic powder. I always add some parsley, too. I think any good soup should have little green things in it!

If I have ham or bacon available, I fry them up first and then add them in while it's all cooking together. The same with the green onions or chives.

Let it simmer another 15 minutes or so on low, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick on the bottom and scorch. It will thicken.

It's really good with some grated cheese sprinkled on top of your bowl.

Making homemade soup is a very inexpensive and healthy alternative to ready-made meals. Convenience foods usually have an abundance of harmful food additives. You get to pay extra for those! And for the packaging. I love fresh garden veggies in soup, and I like to freeze some of them for soup through the winter.

When I make Cream of Potato soup, I always make enough to fill the biggest pot I have. This soup is actually better the second day, so make lots and enjoy it at least twice!

5 comments:

  1. You came just in time, tomorrow I'm making a lot of meals ahead of time for the week. Mostly soups! My husband loves potatoe soup, but I have never made it on my own. I think I'm going to give it a go, It seems very simple. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect day for SOUP. It's cold and rainy. This soup will be easy and delicious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have a pot of soup. It's my favorite food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the potato soup recipe. I'm going to make some tomorrow. It looks and sounds delicious, and it's a bit cold here so potato soup is perfect now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even here in California it's "soup" weather. After seeing your post I made some Irish leek and potato soup for dinner. It was soooo good. Just wanted you to know that you soup instigated my soup. I will try your recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails