Saturday, February 13, 2010

Candy Bars

I've had a sweet tooth since the holidays! I just can't seem to get rid of it, so I'm trying to at least satisfy it with something healthy. Being healthy, strong and fit is an important aspect to being self-reliant.

Last night my brother was telling me how he makes "candy bars". They are a great energy bar to take along when you are going somewhere - hiking, to work, or just an afternoon in town when you know you'll need a snack. So I thought I'd make some today.

The way I cook, recipes are more like "guidelines"! In other words, I seldom follow them exactly. The Cream of Potato Soup recipe I posted usually ends up having carrots in it one time, maybe some Curry in it another, almost always onions, and a variety of seasonings. The candy bars are no exception. There are so many really good things you could put in them, and I think half the fun is being experimental with whatever you like, and have on hand at the time. Here's a very basic idea of what to start with:

Candy Bars

approximately:
2 cups Peanut Butter, Creamy or Chunky
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup honey and/or light corn syrup

Now the fun part! Add in whatever suits your fancy: Coconut, granola, chocolate chips, Rice Krispies or other cereal, Wheat Germ, protein powder, dry instant or quick oats, nuts, raisins, pretzel pieces, dried fruits, cocoa powder, M&M's...

Adjust the powdered milk and the sweetener to make the mix wet enough to stick together but as firm as possible. I mixed the initial part with a spoon and then dug in with my hands. It was much easier because it was so stiff.

I pressed the mix into a shallow pan, melted chocolate chips and then spread them on top. Then I set it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, until the chocolate was hardened, and cut it into bars. Or, you can shape bars individually and then dip them in chocolate, or leave them plain. I wrapped them individually in plastic wrap and am keeping them in the fridge. Because of the Peanut Butter, they are oily, so if you pack them to take along somewhere, remember to include a napkin or paper towel. My boys really liked them!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good recipe! I bought the ingredients for the potato soup. It is supposed to snow tomorrow, so I think it will be a good day to try it out. Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails