Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Wheat Thins

I'm always looking for good ways to use wheat. We keep wheat on hand, and a grinder for fresh flour, but I keep thinking that if one day we have to live on solely what we can produce ourselves, our yeast supplies will be limited and flatbreads and other things will be our only options. Flatbreads are better for you than yeast breads anyway.

I've had a recipe for Wheat Thins I've been wanting to try, so I gave it a shot. They turned out pretty good.

Wheat Thins

1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. white flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. oil
1 c. water

Mix the dry ingredients together and then add the oil and water. Knead as little as possible to make a smooth dough. I kneaded it for about 1 minute. Roll the dough very thin and score with knife. Don't cut all the way through or the dough will contract up into smaller pieces. Prick each cracker a few times with a fork. This keeps it from puffing up so it stays flat. Sprinkle the dough with salt or onion salt. Bake at 350 degrees until light brown, about 25 - 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. That is something I will have to try when I get home this evening ...thanks for the walkthrough

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails